For many people, a move to a ketogenic diet can be just what they need to reach new health goals. With the focus on different eating habits and different food choices, many have seen changes in their health. While this can be a great move for some, it can also be a difficult adjustment if you have food sensitivities. Food sensitivities can take even the best plans and make them more difficult. The good news is, we have some tips for food sensitivities and keto.
Tips for Food Sensitivities and Keto
Meat and Poultry
When on a keto diet it can help to add in more lean meats and poultry. While these cuts can be high in protein and low in carbs, the way they are prepared isn’t always allergy-friendly. Fresh meats that can be prepared at home are able to be consumed without worries about allergies. However, when you purchase prepared meat or poultry, you can have a higher instance of allergies. Here are some important things to look for.
Picking Keto-Friendly Meat and Poultry
- Avoid breaded items - While meat can be a great addition to a keto-friendly diet, using items that are breaded can be riskier for allergens and higher carb counts. It is important to avoid breading when possible while on a keto-friendly diet.
- Avoid over-processed foods - Another dangerous area when moving to an allergy-friendly keto diet is over-processed meats. These items are more likely to utilize allergens.
Bread, Dinner Rolls, and Pizza!
Don’t run away at the mention of bread, dinner rolls, and pizza. These aren’t typically staples of a keto-friendly diet. In fact, many avoid them out of necessity to keep on track with their eating plan. Add to that the concern over food sensitivities and it can be instinct to remove these items. There is a brand working hard to give you a few of these items and keep them allergy-friendly as well! Check out what kind of food sensitivity friendly keto bread, dinner rolls, and pizza you can enjoy.
Food Sensitivity Friendly Keto Bread, Dinner Rolls, and Pizza
- Bread - Keto bread can be low on carbs and help you stay on track. However, many keto breads on the market are still packed with allergens. Choose an allergy-friendly keto bread to enjoy your favorite sandwich or a piece of avocado toast.
- Dinner Rolls - Who says you have to give up dinner rolls while on keto? It’s time to treat yourself to dinner rolls you don’t have to be guilty about. Choose keto bread for food sensitivities and you are sure to enjoy your favorite roll with a bit of ghee when you are having a craving.
- Pizza Crust - Pizza is often quick to leave the menu when moving to keto. With higher carb counts in the crust, many substitute it out for other foods. If you are having a craving for pizza, make a keto-friendly pizza with allergy-friendly keto pizza crust!
While water should be the go-to drink when trying to get healthier, it’s not always what you want to reach for. Sometimes you want to add a touch of flavor to your drinks. Drinks can be a hidden location for some of the things you try to avoid on keto. In fact, some drinks pack on more carbs and sugars than eating a dessert. Here are a few drinks you can enjoy on keto.
Keto-Friendly Drink Options
- Unsweetened Tea - Whether you enjoy hot tea or cold tea, drinking an unsweetened tea can be a good way to add some flavor to your day. Add a splash of lemon to add a bit of flavor if desired.
- Unsweetened Coffee - Black coffee isn’t always the preference for many. However, the more you start to add to coffee, the less healthy it becomes for you. A cup of hot coffee that is unsweetened can give you the caffeine you desire without changing your eating plan.
- Dark Chocolate Cocoa - This definitely falls under the occasional treat category. That said, you can enjoy a dark chocolate cocoa as long as you check the ingredients and verify that it doesn’t have things added in that you can’t tolerate.
- Infused Water - Add fresh berries to a water bottle and let the flavor soak into your water. This is a fantastic way to add some flavor without adding in unhealthy items to your drink. You can also keep it simple with lemon juice or even cucumbers to add a touch of flavor.
When eating with food allergies it can be typical to add in vegetables to compensate for the removal of foods you can no longer enjoy. Items like potatoes and some varieties of squash can be a go-to. These items are not keto-friendly as they have a higher carb and sugar count than other vegetables. So what do you do when you want to increase the vegetables but don’t want to mess up your keto diet? Here are a few vegetables that are keto-friendly when adding in vegetables.
- Bok Choy
- Brussel Sprouts
- Butter Lettuce
- Green Beans
- Spaghetti Squash
Cheese is a high protein food that is often a staple of many keto diets. If you have food sensitivities dairy may not be an option for you. You can still enjoy cheese with food sensitivities. You will just have to be careful about the alternative cheeses you choose to consume. Here are a few things to look at when picking a cheese replacement to enjoy on keto.
Tips for choosing keto-friendly cheese alternatives:
- Research a plant-based alternative - Plant-based cheeses can offer some of the protein and flavor you want from cheese without the allergy issues you might have with traditional dairy products.
- Make sure your alternative is low-carb - While some cheese alternatives are filled with flavor, they may also use ingredients that increase the carb counts in these alternatives. Check the nutritional information before purchasing to be sure it is compliant with what you are able to eat.