What We Do...>
- What does Ener-G make?
- What is Gluten? Why is it Difficult to Bake Without it?
- What is Phenylalanine? Why is it on some Product Labels?
- Why does Ener-G Products have such a Long Shelf-Life?
- Where is Ener-G Located?
- I'm in the Seattle Area, Can I Pick-Up Ener-G Products at your Location?
- Can anyone Order Directly from Ener-G Foods?
- What are the Advantages of Ordering Direct?
- Are Backorders Available?
- Are COD's Accepted?
- Do you offer any Coupons or Special Discounts?
- Do you take Food Stamps?
- What is your Return Policy?
- Do you Guarantee your Products?
- What is your Policy on Product Samples?
What does Ener-G make?
Ener-G Foods was created to provide foods for individuals with dietary restrictions. It is all we do.
Our goal at Ener-G is to make the lives of individuals with diet restrictions as normal as possible by providing them with a wide range of products that are innovative, safe, and nutritious.
Ener-G Foods has been a manufacturer of allergy-restrictive foods
for over 46 years. We produce over 150 gluten-free, wheat-free,
tree nut-free, peanut-free and Kosher-certified products. Additionally,
we also offer low protein, yeast-free, egg-free, and soy-free options.
Our bakery is
dedicated to wheat-free, gluten-free baking, guaranteeing that
contamination from gluten will not occur.
>>Read Ener-G Allergen Statement
What is Gluten? Why is it Difficult to Bake Without it?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, oats, barley, and triticale. Gluten is made up of gluten and gliadin. It is the gliadin that is harmful to those gluten intolerant. Neither rice nor corn gluten contain gliadin. Gluten is one of the miracles of nature as it is the only ingredient that when kneading, mixing, or working, the dough becomes elastic. The stretchy properties of the gluten protein traps the gas released during the fermentation process, allowing the dough to rise. Once cooled, the gluten firms up thus maintaining its shape. The end result is a chewy, light texture that is difficult to replicate without gluten.
Due to this lack of gluten, gluten-free flours require additional assistance in baking. Used alone, gluten-free flours tend to be dry and crumbly, thus a binding agent is needed in place of gluten. Ingredients such as Xanthan Gum, guar gum, methylcellulose, eggs, egg whites, Egg Replacer, or unflavored gelatin are commonly used "gluten replacements" in gluten-free baking. Nothing works the same as gluten, but there have been major breakthrough in the gluten-free market that have come pretty close...not to "toot" our own horn, but Ener-G Foods is one of the pioneers in the gluten-free industry, 46 years in business, and we are still continuously setting the standards for producing safe gluten-free foods that actually taste good.
What is Phenylalanine? Why is it on some Product Labels?
Phenylalanine, not to be confused with artifical sugars, is an essential amino acid found naturally in protein-rich foods like milk, cheese, nuts, seeds, poultry, fish, meat, some vegetables, and whole grains. There are two instances where Phenylalanine can be harmful:
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), a rare birth defect where individuals do not have the ability to process certain amino acids, thus must eat ONLY low protein foods (low in phenylalanine) for their entire lives.
- Phenylalanine found in aspartame (or any other artifical sugar) - which Ener-G products do NOT contain. Ener-G Foods only uses either real sugar or all natural sweeteners, such as pear juice concentrate or fruit purees. The Phenylalanie found in our products are naturally occurring in the raw ingredients (e.g. rice).
Why does Ener-G Products have such a Long Shelf-Life?
Ener-G products are free of chemical preservatives, instead we have invested a considerable amount of time and money in developing our vacuum packaging system, which allows our baked goods to have up to a one year shelf life without the need for refrigeration or freezing. Our state of the art packaging is a high-density barrier that does not allow gas exchange whatsoever between the product and the outside atmosphere. After opening, however, our baked goods should be properly stored to ensure freshness.
Where is Ener-G Located?
Ener-G Foods' base operation is located in Seattle, Washington and we have a secondary plant in Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania. Wylde Pretzels, Wylde Sesame Pretzels, Tapioca Dinner Rolls, Tapioca Hamburger Buns, and Tapioca Hot Dog Buns are made in Womelsdorf, everything else (except Israel Imports: Ener-G Pretzels, Sesame Pretzel Rings, and Gourmet Crackers) are made in Seattle. Both facilities are dedicated wheat-free, gluten-free, casein-free, dairy-free, treenut-free, and peanut-free.
I'm in the Seattle Area, Can I Pick-Up Ener-G Products at your Location?
Yes, Ener-G's main office, in Seattle, Washington, is open to the public. Our address is:
Ener-G Foods, Inc.
5960 1st Avenue South,
Seattle, Washington 98108.
We are on the intersection of East Marginal Way and 1st Avenue South. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. See map for directions.
Walk-in's are welcome, but to save time, you can also call in your order beforehand (206) 767-3928.
Can anyone Order Directly from Ener-G Foods?
We are open to the public, anyone and everyone can order direct. There are several ways to order:
- Online: www.ener-g.com.com
- Phone: toll 1-800-331-5222 or local 206-767-3928
- Mail: 5960 First Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98108, download an Ener-G Gluten-Free, Allergen-Free Catalog or an Ener-G Low Protein Catalog
- Fax: 206-764-3928, download an Ener-G retail Order Form. For a wholesale order form, contact us at email@example.com
What are the Advantages of Ordering Direct?
The best part about ordering directly from Ener-G Foods is having full access to our entire line. We produce over 150 products, all gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, casein-free, tree nut-free, peanut-tree and kosher certified. Not only are we a one-stop shop for all things Ener-G, but also:
- If you cannot find products locally, it's more cost effect to order direct rather than driving long distances for our products. Learn more about our Shipping Rates.
- We are a 24/7, i.e., 24 hours - 7 days a week, bakery, which means direct customers get the freshest batches available for pick up or shipped right to their doors.
- Customer service. If you have any questions about our products or have any problems with your order, our customer service is impeccable. No one knows more about Ener-G products than we do. Please call us at 1-800-331-5222, office hours are between Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, or email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org. A customer service agent will be happy to assist you.
Are Backorders Available?
Sorry, we don't do backorders. If you are missing items from your order due to unavailability, please consider reordering once the product is back in stock.
Are COD's Accepted?
Do you offer any Coupons or Special Discounts?
At this time, we do not offer any in-store coupons. For direct customers, every month we offer special discounts on select items and exclusively for online customers we offer a different item, free, which is optional for those who order over $40. Please check our Specials section periodically to see the latest promotions being offered.
Do you take Food Stamps?
No we do not accept Food Stamps, but grocery stores and health food stores do. If your local grocery store or health food store does not currently stock Ener-G products please consider printing out this Product Request Form and passing it along to the store's manager.
What is your Return Policy?
In the event you receive damaged or incorrect merchandise, contact us no more than 15 days after receiving the products. For spoilage, contact us within 6 months of receiving your order. Please, DO NOT return the merchandise to us. Call our toll-free number and we will arrange for a replacement or credit. No refunds or credits will be given without an authorization code. Contact us at 1-800-331-5222.
In the case of non-damaged, non-spoiled, and correctly shipped merchandise, please send unwanted products back to us and a brief note stating the reason for the return. A credit refund will be issued for the received goods, minus a 15% re-stocking fee. Customers will pay the return shipping charges to:
Ener-G Foods, Inc.
Attn: Returns Department
5960 1ST AVE S
Seattle, WA 98108
What is your Policy on Product Samples?
Samples are available, upon request, for support groups and events by faxing to 206-764-3928 or emailing email@example.com. You must fill out a Sample Request Form in order to be approved for samples. Download the Sample Request Form or call 1-800-3331-5222.